I was really interested to get as compact an implementation as I could of an interactive speech app such as Jasper or Alexa, using Rpi Zero and a built-in mic and speaker. I had a Pimoroni SpeakerPHAT laying around from earlier playings-around, and that seemed perfect for the task. Here's what I ended up with, and while I'm just using my USB battery here, to make things more compact I'd use the flat battery listed in my Jupyter/Rpi page.
I bought the parts from Adafruit.com:
- Raspberry Pi Zero W ($10),
- SD/MicroSD Memory Card (8 GB) ($10),
- Mini USB Microphone ($6),
- SpeakerPHAT by Pimoroni ($13),
- USB battery such as this one ($15).